COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

"AT THE SAME TIME, PRAY ALSO FOR US, THAT GOD MAY OPEN TO US A DOOR FOR THE WORD, TO DECLARE THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST...THAT I MAY MAKE IT CLEAR..." COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Reminder

James and I have been married almost 10 years and we dated for 3 years before that. Twelve of these 13 years, we have been in youth/student ministry...either in the church or as house parents to teenage girls at a children's home. Since high school I have had a strong desire to work in student ministry. I LOVE teenage girls...LOVE!!!

For the past year we have had a drastic change in our ministry focus. We have helped lead some youth Bible studies here and I have tried very hard to connect with the youth kids here but just haven't felt like I am connecting. I try and speak in Polish, but nothing ever seems to come out right. They are all learning English, but I have been trying to use only Polish when I speak to them so that I can practice speaking and listening. Then I get funny looks and they laugh and it makes me self-conscious and mad that I can't communicate and show them how much I love them. I have been thinking that maybe I am just outgrowing teenagers.

This week we have had a group of youth from FBC Georgetown, TX and wow!! They have reminded me that I DO love teens and I want to connect with teenagers. It is so frustrating that I can't speak like I want to. I just cried walking up the long, steep hill to get Macie at the TV studio because of my frustration. I know God called me here. I know He is faithful to equip me. And I know learning a language is a marathon and not a sprint but it's been over a year and I am still so slow in my language and am realizing how much I am desperate for the ministry I love and have known for the past 13 years.

I try not to bring my emotions a lot into my blogs but I felt like I needed to.

1 comment:

Janell said...

Ange, I'm so sorry to hear that you're frustrated. I will be praying for Him to break down those language barriers and foster great relationships with the teenagers around you. I bet He is doing so more than you think. Your heart for kids is so huge and beautiful and there is no way they are missing that, regardless of what language you are speaking.

Love and miss you tons!