COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

"AT THE SAME TIME, PRAY ALSO FOR US, THAT GOD MAY OPEN TO US A DOOR FOR THE WORD, TO DECLARE THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST...THAT I MAY MAKE IT CLEAR..." COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Appendicitis or God's Provision?

I have been prone to stomach aches and indigestion since I was in high school. Between 2&4 times a week I have to use antacids. So last Wednesday night when I began to feel the burn, I just popped some tums and hoped to feel better soon. 

At the end of our Bible study, we were asked to pray and ask God what he thinks about something in our lives...decision, choices, etc. I have been struggling with feeling busy, overwhelmed and tired. So I asked God to help me see what the priorities are. My stomach was already hurting as I was praying. Everyone left and told James my stomach hurt. However, the pain was different. It's usually on my left side, and I can move the gas bubbles down. But this was a different pain on my right side. Oh well. It was bed time. About 1am, I woke up suddenly with strong pains on the right side and I really needed to pee. 

Oh no...a bladder infection. Maybe that was it. But no I didn't have other symptoms except pain. Hmmm...I also occasionally get ovarian cysts usually on my right side. Maybe that was it. Maybe it had ruptured. I read about symptoms, but they didn't really line up. Hmmm...then suddenly the appendix came to mind. Oh no. Not in Poland. Not in the middle of the night. Who would I call? What would we do with our kids? Where would I go? We decided to wait until the morning after we took the girls to school to go somewhere. I know I know. This could have ended badly. 

Long story short, I went to a private clinic in GdaƄsk and they worked me in. The doc was about 60 but he spoke English well. Thank you God! He referred us to the surgical ward at a hospital. We went to the surgical floor, and they ended up sending us to the ER but called and told them we were coming. I didn't wait at all most of the day. I saw a few docs, had blood drawn and had an ultrasound. This is a teaching hospital so the young students were a little hesitant to diagnose appendicitis until the main doctor came. But he said he felt like we should remove the appendix. The next day one of the students told me we got it at the right time. It wasn't awful but it was getting close. 

The weirdest part was waking up in the recovery room. It was like I was waking up from a dream. I felt under the covers on my stomach. Then I kept talking in Polish and saying, "Oh I'm in the hospital...I keep forgetting." I'm not sure how many times I said that. Haha

So of course I took pics through the day and through my hospital stay. Wish I had a pic of the appendix. My belly button is not the same. Makes me sad but I'll use it as a reminder that God took care of and provided for me during this time. Is this His way of telling me I need to slow down and rest? Maybe. James said that's all I can do for the next several days as I recover. :) 

Oh and also my precious neighbor who is a drug rep for Pfizer just happened to be at the hospital as I was being admitted. She helped talk with the doctors and came again today as I was being discharged. She made soup for me and got extra bandages and stuff. Ella was able to stay the night with our other friend, Ute and Blix. Again, thankful for God's provision. 
Just got hooked to the IV. Not sure what I got but it did take some pain away. 
Just after surgery. Don't judge. I wanted to document it all. 
I woke up starving the day after. I was desperate to eat. I told every doctor and nurse. Finally about 10:30 someone said I could have soup for lunch. This that I am holding was soup...what?!? No it was like watery/milky rice stuff...which I promptly threw up. 
Our sweet colleagues came by to visit and brought cheerful flowers. 
Oh here's the soup...bitter pea soup. Gag! I did eat about half. 
Yea!! Real food today. Although I only ate 2 pieces of bread. Still thankful! 
Here's a belly button shot. Maybe when the swelling goes down a bit it will look a little better. 

I definitely feel less pain then I did Wednesday night and Thursday but I am tired and weak. This is taking longer to recover from than when I had both babies. So I will take the next few days to rest and spend time with The Lord. :) 

No comments: