COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

"AT THE SAME TIME, PRAY ALSO FOR US, THAT GOD MAY OPEN TO US A DOOR FOR THE WORD, TO DECLARE THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST...THAT I MAY MAKE IT CLEAR..." COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

Monday, February 21, 2011

Boldness

So I am doing something I have never done before but should have...I am reading the New Testament. Not in order though. While at FPO/ILC...training in Virginia...we all read the book of Acts together. It was a great way for us to see how a NT church plant should work. We also read Romans and began 1 Corinthians. So I decided I would continue reading. (Although during Romans I decided I was not intelligent enough to read Paul's writings.) I have been reading...slowly, but I am doing it. I decided that I would finish with all of Paul's writings and then read the Gospels. Then James, 1 & 2 Peter, Jude, and finish with 1, 2, 3 John and finally Revelation. Now you know all that useful information on me!

So today I was finishing the book of Ephesians. I have read chapter 6 numerous times and parts of it so many more. The first verse I recall memorizing was Eph 6:1 "Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right." This book is made up of commands for children and parents, a message on the armor of God and also his (Paul's) closing statements to the Ephesians. I prayed as I opened that God would reveal something to me that was new...especially since I already knew everything in this chapter, Ha! Of course God being God answered my prayer. He put in a new verse just for me. Ok, well maybe it has always been there but I have just not noticed it until today. Verse 18 he asks them to make sure they are praying at all times on behalf of saints but also he asks them to pray for him. Verse 19 and 20 say,  "and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,  for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak." (Ephesians 6:19-20 ESV) That really got my attention. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am not a fan of small talk and especially with people I don't know. Often if I see someone I will try and hide so as not to have to talk. I know most of you find that odd. But I just feel awkward.

So here I am in Poland to be a missionary...and ambassador for Christ...and I am terrified of talking to people. I don't know how to get to know people and have them into my home and build relationships so that I can share my faith and the most precious gift I have been given. So I am asking you all as my prayer warriors to pray for me. Pray that I would have boldness to follow through on the task that God has charged me with. Pray that I would have divine encounters and would be able to build relationships with people and eventually have the opportunity to share what has changed my life.

Thank you amazing prayer warriors!

No comments: