COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

"AT THE SAME TIME, PRAY ALSO FOR US, THAT GOD MAY OPEN TO US A DOOR FOR THE WORD, TO DECLARE THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST...THAT I MAY MAKE IT CLEAR..." COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11

Happy Polish Independence Day/American Veterans Day/Really Cool Date Day!!!!

I love that, as an American living in Poland, I get to celebrate 2 special holidays on the same day. Veterans Day in America is a day for us to reflect on the soldiers who have fought for our country and continue to fight for our country. They are a HUGE reason that we have freedom in so many areas. Having an uncle that has been in the US Army for over 20 years, I know the sacrifice that comes along with being a soldier. I am thankful for every one that has fought, been injured and even lost their lives for my freedom!

In Poland, today is their "4th of July." :)  It is independence day. Poland has had a history of being "captured" so I looked up when this became their day to celebrate. In 1918, the 11th of November was day that Poland became independent after 123 years under the Russian, Prussian, and Austrian occupation. This became a national holiday in 1937 and was celebrated twice before Germany invaded Poland and WWII began. They were then under communist rule until 1989. During communism, the independence day was moved to 22nd of July. After Poland was liberated...again...the day was changed back to the 11th of July. (This may not be all the exact details, but what I could find in quick research.)

Finally, the date is 11-11-11. The last time this date was seen was 100 years ago and it will be another 100 years before "we" will see it again. All in all, a cool day!!!

My quick, little effort Polish Flag cake. 

No comments: