COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

"AT THE SAME TIME, PRAY ALSO FOR US, THAT GOD MAY OPEN TO US A DOOR FOR THE WORD, TO DECLARE THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST...THAT I MAY MAKE IT CLEAR..." COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

Monday, May 30, 2011

Thumb Sucking

When Ella was about 6 months old I started to notice her thumb finding its way to her mouth a little too often and tried to pull it out and insert a paci instead. But I also knew that when she was asleep in the night and her paci was gone there was no way for me to keep her thumb out of her mouth. 8 years later and after so much pleading, I am sad to say that thumb is still in her mouth. I have watched her suck her thumb when she is tired and going to bed or taking a nap. I have watched her such her thumb when she is watching movies or television shows. I have watched her suck her thumb when she is bored and there is nothing else to do. All of these are times I am ready for the thumb to be gone. But I have watched her suck her thumb when she is anxious, stressed or sad. These are times that it breaks my heart to have to break this habit...but it is necessary. Ella's mouth has been completely misshapen because of this habit. I am tired of family asking her when her top teeth will grow in. THEY HAVE BEEN IN FOR A LONG TIME!!!!
Ella told me she is sad to lose her bunny teeth. haha!


This past year we have undergone some big changes and the thumb was Ella's one security. There was no way I was going to change that. Now that we have arrived, settled into life and school, and things are going well...it is time to say goodbye to the thumb. So today we saw an orthodontist. She was wonderful. She looked at Ella's teeth all of 2 minutes before recommending treatment. She told us we could order a universal mouth guard on the internet to break the habit for about $50ish. Or she could take impressions of her teeth and have a retainer made to fit her mouth that would have a piece that will prevent Ella's thumb from fitting in her mouth comfortably. It would also pull her top teeth down and squeeze them back together. This is the option we chose. We decided it would be best all the way around. Of course she did say that in a few years Ella will need more orthodontics done but for now I am pleased to get this going. We did impressions today and next Monday she will get her new purple retainer. She has to wear it at least 12 hours a day...and especially at night and during tv watching. Hooray for modern medicine!!!

No comments: